Technology. Like it or hate it, its definitely here to stay.
Technology has rapidly shaped the world around us and completely changed the way we do pretty much anything nowadays.
Here are five technologies that have transformed the world:
- The Transistor – Was invented by a team of scientists working for Bell Telephone labs in the mid 1940’s. Without transistors, we wouldn’t have any of the technology we have today. They are the building blocks of all things technology.
What do they do and how do they work?
A transistor is a very small electrical component that has two main functions. It can be operated either as an amplifier or a switch.
As an amplifier it takes a tiny electrical current and transforms it into a much larger electrical current on the other end. Its like a form of current booster. This is the simplest way of explaining it without getting into electrical jargon!
As a switch a small electrical current flowing through a transistor can make a much bigger current flow through another part of it. Put in the most simple terms a small current switches on the larger one.
2. The World Wide Web – The internet is probably one of the most important inventions of our time. The internet took off in 1993 with the release of the Mosaic Browser and was invented by a man called Tim Berners-Lee. Berners-Lee could’ve made an insane amount of money from his invention but he chose to give it away!
3. The Apple iMac – This might not seem like a very important invention but look at how Apple have influenced the world with their innovative products. The original iMac was one of the most influential designs of the last decade. At the time of release, computer were big, bulky, unsightly objects. Apple showed companies a better way of doing things, by combining beautiful design with intuitive functionality.
4. Text Messaging – SMS messaging has transformed the way we communicate. You might be surprised to learn that SMS was actually invented by accident! It was initially invented to let people know they had voicemails but it quickly changed the way we all communicate with each-other. One of the first text messages was sent by a Nokia engineer in 1993. Several years later texting replaces speaking as the most popular form of wireless communication.
5. Bittorrent – Was created by a programmer called Bram Cohen. Torrents have changed the way people share files forever. Bittorrent took peer-to-peer file sharing to a whole new level. As soon as you have a piece of a file, you’re able to share it. It is a highly efficient way of distributing large amounts of data! The downside to torrenting is that most of it is done illegally as people have the ability to download almost anything they want at the touch of a button.